Saturday, December 30, 2006

The year in review...

So everywhere you listen or watch right now you are bombarded with "year in review" shows and lists. Well I am no one famous and not a lot happens in m world, but I thought I would share with you just a few of the things that happened in our lives this last year. Nothing too exciting, but just a little bit of what happened in the McKee household in 2006-since we didn't do a letter with our Christmas cards...

In January I weighed myself for the first time in a long time. I was having some health problems and knew that something needed to change or I was going to drastically shorten my life. So I declared a "new year's revolution" and decided to change my life forever. I weighed in at 367, which was really discouraging since I had never been that heavy in my life. I am proud to say that I end the year at 342. I know it is only 25 but I still consider that a resolution kept. I hope to lose a lot more this year, but a lifestyle change is not easy and it takes time.

In February, mom and dad came down for a couple of weeks and we all got to experience our first Mardi Gras. I had misconceptions about Mardi Gras and what it was like, but we all had a great time. You can read about it in the link above or check out the March archives.

March was the first time I got to put my feet into action (literally) in my weight loss battle and life change. I walked my first 5k here in Pensacola. It was tough, but fun and I really felt a sense of accomplishment when I was done.

May brought a much needed vacation and a few days at Disney in Orlando, but the vacation was interrupted when we had to make an unexpected trip home when grandma passed away.It was tough to say goodbye to her, but I know she is not suffering anymore and is in a better place.

June brought on the big 3-0 and visits from family and friends including my folks, sis and brother-in-law, and my college roomie Phil and his family. Although we didn't get to go deep sea fishing as planned fun was had by all and 30 wasn't so bad after all.

July was a busy month as I had the chance to be camp director for the first time in my life. For not knowing what was doing I think it went pretty well. The result? Definitely made me pull my hair out and resulted in the new look for the summer.

August brought three years of being married to the most beautiful woman in the world and a surprise from God in the form of a dream job for Megan. She had been patiently waiting and hoping to get away from the bank and boy did He deliver. She is now teaching elementary music at Navy Point Elementary here in Pcola. I also walked my second 5k and improved my time from March.

September brought 5k number three as well as two trips home to Ohio. It was all about reunions including getting to see my mentor Rick and attending the 100th anniversary of the first church I served in as well as Meg's 10 year class reunion. We even found time to take the teens to Universal Studios for Rock the Universe in the middle of all of that.

October was a life changing month for me. I decided it was time to fess up and start being real. I was ready to leave the ministry but I asked God for help, and he delivered. My testimony is in the October archives if you want to read it.

Of course in November, America "voted for change," but for us it meant hosting our first Thanksgiving dinner. It turned out great, but I kinda forgot to blog about it, so no link sorry. And of course...who could forget, it was also the month when the Buckeyes shored up their shot at a national title by beating that team up north.

Finally this month. It was awesome. Meg and I both had the chance to participate in Pensacola Winterfest. It was a great chance for Meg to play her flute and get her name out in the city and I got the chance to give tours of downtown and tell corny jokes at the same time (think an amusement park ride where there is a story/dialogue with built in jokes that aren't that great sometimes). We have been praying for ways to get into the community and this was one of those opportunities. I also found out that I am going to get a shot at reality TV in the form of VH1's World Series of Pop culture. Then of course we got to go home for a few days, but now it is back to the grind here in Pensacola.

It has been an interesting year. Nothing too exciting or worthy of a movie, but it was our lives for 2006. I can't wait to see what 2007 holds. May God continue to bless you all, and be safe as you celebrate the beginning of another New Year that God has blessed us with.

God is good!

No comments: