Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Everything I needed to know about church I learned at Disney...

Okay, so maybe I'm crazy, but I love Disney. Being back in Orlando this week until having to go to Gainesville for District Assembly on Thursday I have had the chance to hang out at the parks. I love going there, I can't describe it, but there is just something about them that makes me feel different. As I was walking around yesterday I began to think you know there are a few things we can learn from Disney that may help us as a church. First, they go all out when it comes to making you feel welcome. As you approach the parks you see elements that show you that you are about to enter into another "world." Everything is "fun," the parking attendants welcome you with a little "dance" as they direct you, are smiling as they point, and are approachable on any level to help make you feel welcome and that they are glad you are here. If there is one thing that concerns me it is the amount of people we are losing at our churches because they do not feel "welcome." I think it is time we start going out of our way to welcome people. The next thing I noticed is that they do everything 150%. Employees are not employees, they are "cast members" and a part of the grand scheme that is Disney. Everything they do affects the image of the company, and even the street sweepers seem glad to be there and willing to assist wherever they can. The parks look like the fantasy world you are in, the ride queues have theming, and you literally are made to be a part of the world that is "Disney." Even the cheesy dialogues and corny jokes are done well and you just feel like there is a pride in being "Disney." There is an identity there, if they can be this excited and go this all out for a theme park, what can we do as a church when we have an eternal message and no charge for admission (okay some of you might consider tithing an admission charge)? How many times have we settled for "status quo" Christianity" instead of going above and beyond with the message of Christ. Finally, Disney always seems to be thinking outside the box. As they grow, they are introducing new ideas and trying new things, and once again, you get to be a part of this. I am not saying go out and accept the syncretism and toleration that the world proclaims, but isn't it time we start thinking big since we serve a big God? These are just my thoughts and I could be wrong, but I know I feel different when I go to Disney. I just have to wonder if we couldn't do so much more for Christ if we would just apply some of these same concepts to our walks with Christ. What do you think? Are there more? Am I wrong? Let me know...
Living in a "small world" and serving a BIG God...
-Matt

No comments: