Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas thoughts...part 1

So I have been thinking about the Christmas story as we celebrate with family and friends over the Christmas season. Obviously it is at the center of my whole life since it is the foundation of my faith. But as I was sitting around these past few days and had a little bit of down time and so I thought I would offer this Christmas devotional thought...

Who are you this Christmas? Each of the characters played an important role in the nativity story. So the question is, who are you?

MARY-You could be like Mary-she was chosen to carry the Christ child. She was a young woman who was anointed by God to bring Christ into this world, how awesome is that? When I look at Mary, I think of someone who was willing to accept God's will for her, no matter what. She could have said no I suppose, but she didn't even though she may not have understood the full magnitude of what God was asking her to do, she simply said yes. Am I willing to accept God's call on my life, even when I don't understand the circumstances?

JOSEPH-I think Joseph is sometimes underestimated in the Christmas story. Sometimes he gets looked over. Here is a man that could have very easily chosen to just let Mary go and been on with it. He knew he might have been facing persecution and rumors, but he stuck by her side. He played a support role, one that was very important. He was chosen to be the earthly father of the Messiah. He was beside Mary through everything and chose to support she and Jesus. Sometimes I wonder if we are called to play the role of support. We aren't always the star and that can be discouraging because we all love the spotlight, but Joseph chose simply to play the support role. How awesome is that? Lord help us to be willing to be the support of those who are following your will and are carrying your message to the world.

THE SHEPHERDS-These guys are awesome. I love the shepherds, here are your everyday guys. They lived in the fields with their animals, I am sure they were rough around the edges and probably not really respected in the community. These guys were just simply your average Joe's...but God chose them to be the first ones to proclaim the message of the Messiah. Talk about God at work. This is so awesome, because they weren't important, they were just normal...it was so awesome as the got to be the first messengers! God chose them to take the message of the newborn baby to the world and God still asks us to carry his message today, as everyday people...no matter who we are or what we do.

So who are you this Christmas? Is God asking you to answer His call for your life, even if it doesn't make sense? Is God asking you to support those in ministry? Is He asking you to carry his message to the world in your community, workplace, and family? As you celebrate the Christmas season, ask God to show you who He wants you to be this Christmas.

Merry Christmas and may God bless you richly!
-Matt

No comments: