Saturday, June 23, 2007

Movie review-Evan Almighty

Had the chance last night to check out the new Steve Carrell movie "Evan Almighty" with the teens. I have to say it was great. I knew it had a little bit more of a religious spin on it that "Bruce Almighty" but I had no idea it would be an hour and a half full of teachable moments.

Plot wise it is a little slow and sort of predictable, but honestly I was looking for teachable moments this time around. Needless to say I was not disappointed. There is so much material that can be used for discussion about faith in this movie. I personally found that there were several moments where you just have to say "wow"-one in particular for me came in a conversation with Evan and God where Evan makes a comment about "his plans" and God just laughs. I have often wondered how God views it when we talk about "our plans" and I sort of picture it happening this way. That was just one moment, there are several others that you can use.

Family wise I think you are okay with this one, the kids will find the animal humor funny and I only counted one swear word, but there are a couple of references to human/animal anatomy...use your discretion though.

All in all I have to recommend this movie. I think it is worth seeing on the big screen. So here's the final breakdown...it is a bit predictable and is not a blockbuster by any means, but the teachable moments and faith conversation that will come after it make it a winner for me. Grade A+

No comments: