Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Little Leisure Reading...

One thing that I have enjoyed about being done with my masters is the ability to read something just for the fun if it without having to worry about reporting on it or trying to decide whether I understand it or not. With that in mind I have been knocking off novels left and right. Here are my thoughts on two that I have just finished.

The first book is "Kingdom Come" by LaHaye and Jenkins and is the final book in the Left Behind Series. I have been a big fan of the series and have always dropped whatever I was reading to read the newest book. The only books I have not read yet are the prequels and the teen series. Since I loved the series, I eagerly grabbed a copy of this book as soon as it came out. I'll have to admit, I was a little bit disappointed. It is a good read, but seems a little anti-climactic. There just wasn't as much plot as I would have liked to have to have seen. I felt that the authors were stretching a bit to describe the millennial kingdom (no one knows really what it will be like) and although they were using scripture they obviously had to use some imagination which I felt took away from the book. Without spoiling any of the plot the book basically brings all of the favorite characters back together during the millennium and deals with how they handle reaching those born post-tribulation and the opposition that comes from those who follow Lucifer who will be released one last time at the end of the 1000 year reign of Christ on earth. It is a decent read, but I would have stopped with the "Glorious Appearing." Grade C-The second book "Transformers" by Alan Dean Foster. This is the official novel based on the upcoming movie. Of course in anticipation of the movie I HAD to read this book. The book is almost always better than the movie so I was really excited to read this book. I have to admit though, I am hoping the Hollywood special effects of the movie make it more exciting than the book. I honestly was a bit disappointed and now my excitment for the movie has dropped somewhat. There were a couple good action sequences in the book, but other than that, it just didn't carry it for me. The whole book builds up to one final climax (as it should) but a really good book will keep you through the whole thing. More frustrating to me was the fact that Optimus Prime and Megatron don't appear until later in the novel. All in all I hope the movie is better. Grade D

No comments: