Friday, March 31, 2006

Weight discrimination???

I posted this on my weight loss blog/journal, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if people think I am off base or if there is some validity to this. Let me know what you think...

Weight discrimination???
Does anyone else believe that this exists? I know that people out there have proven that racial prejudices and discrimination exist, but I am sure now more than ever that weight discrimination exists as well. I'm already convinced it exists at amusement parks, I can't ride the rides I want to ride (which is one reason I am losing this weight), and they claim that for safety reasons they have to have certain restrictions...I don't buy it, I can remember riding world record breaking roller coasters as a kid with nothing but a lap bar that didn't come anywhere near my waist. Anyway, that is beside the point, but I am more convinced now than ever that it does exist. I think my wife has been overlooked for a promotion twice now for her weight even though I can't prove it and they would deny it if she every tried to accuse them of it...But when the people they put in the position are less qualified and only weigh 125 max something is up if you ask me. But the real reason I want to know is because it seems that people listen to skinny people more than they listen to people who are overweight. Just because I am not sports oriented and pencil thin does that mean that my ideas aren't as good? It sure seems that way. Anyone else every feel this way? Anyway, I am just venting because of some stuff that happened today-I had the same idea as someone, mentioned it and they ignored it-15 minutes later someone else made the same suggestion and they said hey what a great idea...What's the deal? Okay, I am done venting...What do you think, am I off base? The battle is raging on, I know I am still losing as the new pants I bought are fitting better than ever, but I still can't see any results. Day by day!!! That's all I can do I am afraid

3 comments:

Josh and Cammie Delph said...

Matt - This is Cammie (Buckley) Delph - I just found yours and Megan's blogs!! How awesome! Email us, ok? cammieliz@hotmail.com

Feltzy said...

Matt- I totally agree with the amusement park statements. I don't even go anymore unless they have some other section like water rides or a water park or something like Sea World.

I haven't experienced the weight thing directly in jobs (although I wonder about it with the job I interviewed for in Minnesota because they said that I was totally qualified but it wasn't a "fit") but I have experienced it in relationships where I am automatically designated to the "friend" role even though women want a guy to look past their looks. Actually, all of this has helped me get to a place where I am trusting God more with the future. I am finding more and more that I am actually able to be honest when saying, "God's will be done."

Dan & Angie said...

Matt - couldn't agree with you more. AND WAY TO GO ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!! Angie and I have been great Weight Watchers advocates for more than a year ... I lost 85 pounds and hit my goal last May. Angie has lost 90 and has about 30 more to go. We're rooting for you!!!!