Friday, August 11, 2006

Maybe Maurice Clarrett should read Proverbs...

Well by now if you are a sports fan (especially a Buckeye fan like me), you have probably heard about Maurice Clarrett's latest foray into breaking the law. Let's see, his attorney says he had no intent to hurt someone, yet he had four loaded weapons in his car (including an AK47 style assault rifle) and he was wearing a bulletproof vest. Nahh, he wasn't out to get anyone, he was just on a joyride, wanted to race the cops and was trying to start a new fashion trend....COME ON!!!
What I don't get is how someone with as much talent as Clarrett has (or had-depending on how you look at it) can go so wrong. I mean here is a guy that led the Buckeyes to a national championship, and I am not saying he wasn't good. He was awesome, but I think he got WAY too ahead of himself. He got arrogant and thought he was the best there was and deserved to get what he wanted when he wanted it...NOW. So he bales on the Buckeyes, tries to go into the draft loses the appeal and then when he finally can get into the NFL he is drafted by Denver and then blows it...Come on man you had your shot!
Well we all know it was downhill from there, he holds up someone at a bar in January, goes to jail and then right before the trial pulls this stunt. Here is a man who could have had it all, and now he may well spend a lot of time in jail because of his arrogance.
Maybe Maurice should have read Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." Hey Maurice, it's not too late you can still turn your life around and be an example for a generation to come. Turn your heart toward the Lord and listen to Him instead of yourself.
So what about us, most of us don't have what it takes to be a professional athlete, but I think we can all learn from this experience. We can get ahead of ourselves and God when we think we are it. I have been there, done that, and had to live with the scars. Without the Lord we are nothing. He is the source of our talent and gifts and we need to give Him the honor he deserves and let it be known that without Him we are nothing.
It is a shame that a talented young athlete now is behind bars, but we can learn from this, if we will let God lead us.
So what do you think?

2 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

I wouldn't judge to quickly about the firearms. Routinely when I travel I have at least three pistols that I carry, depending on where I'm going a carbine behind the seat. Perfectly legally, I might add. I know there are guys that wear vests that are civilians also (I don't)

Oh yeah the Kalinakov really isn't an assault weapon unless it has automatic fire, there are semi-auto versions. One of the main misreporting the media does about firearms.

Now if he had a felony then he shouldn't have had the firearms in the first place, but your right about the pride before the fall thing

Matt said...

Well I woudn't have been too quick to judge had he not been drinking and driving and led the police on a chase...that tends to make me think something was up, plus he was pretty close to the house of that witness, but I guess God is the only one who can judge Him-I just think it's a shame when he had such talent....and I'm not opposed to guns I own several myself as well as 2 bows.