Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes we can?

It is true that we have experienced history today in the inauguration of President Barack Obama. There is no doubt about that. My only hope is that he can live up to the expectations that we as Americans have placed on him. There almost seems to be a messianic expectation placed on him, so I believe now more than ever that we as believers need to unite in prayer for him, regardless of our political beliefs about him.

I wonder though, how different really was today than 8 years ago when President Bush took office? I really don't think it is that much different, there was a high expectation placed on Bush when he was inaugurated as well. He was coming into office on the heels of a presidential term filled with scandal-just of a different sort. I don't think I am alone either-my friend Adam McLane has some great thoughts about the whole idea here. Take a read and let me know what you think.

I also have been wondering-and I need to unpack it more before I blog about it, but I wonder if we have seen the death of "conservatism" as we know it with this inauguration. Basically, the world with the help of the liberal media and Hollywood seems to be making a cultural shift to what some would define as liberal. It began in 2006 with the shift in congress and now seems complete with the inauguration of President Obama. I'm not saying its the end of the world as we know it, but there just seems to be a shift taking place. I think the Republican party, and conservatives as a whole (I'd like to argue there is a rising difference between the two) will have a long road ahead of them to "take the country back" if you will.

Either way, we have experienced history today and I have to admit, I'm a little excited to see what is to come. Thoughts on any of this?

3 comments:

Chris said...

I would say it's not death to the ideals of conservatives, but I do think that it's the death of the Republican party.

I believe there are many more conservatives than one might think, especially as Independents.

I hear what you are saying and you bring some good thoughts and I am anxious to read your next post.

DAKOTARANGER said...

I'm thinking of writing a letter to the Republican party quoting Davy Crockett after he was voted out of office, "You can all go to H---, I'm going to Texas."

Anonymous said...

read the last book of the Bible